Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Integrity

I had been having excessive headaches and I finally heeded recommendations that, at age 34, I should have my vision checked. Bottom line, I got glasses. I have one eye that's great (20/20) and one eye that's a little off (20/40). If both my eyes were the same, that wouldn't be much of a problem. However, because one eye was over-compensating for the other one, that triggered excessive headaches for me every day.

As I brought my new "fashion statement" home, I asked the Lord to give me "His eyes". I asked Him to show me people I come into contact with throughout my day that need a smile, a touch, and some encouragement. I asked Him to show me what He sees in people, people created in His image. I asked Him to give me eyes of love as I communicate with my family during trying times. And, above all else, I asked Him to show me what He sees in me, His daughter.


Throughout the week, He has taught me many things. One of the lessons I learned was about David.

David was a man after God's own heart. Many of us have heard stories of David. At a young age he killed the mighty philistine, Goliath; he was an anointed king; as king he served God with his whole heart; he was also was a adulterer and a murderer.

YET, in the Bible in 1 Kings 9:4, as the Lord is talking with Solomon about his father David, it says: "As for you, if you walk before me in integrity of heart and uprightness, as David your father did..."

Integrity of heart?? Uprightness?? Doesn't God remember David and Bathsheba (adultery)? David and Uriah (murder)?

I looked up "integrity" in the dictionary and I found definitions like:

- adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
- the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished
- a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition

Yet, God describes David with integrity. When God exposed his sin, he repented. Not only did he repent, he got back up and continued his walk with the Lord.



Lord, I ask You to teach us about integrity. I ask that you would put a desire in us to walk in integrity of heart, not just as David did, but as your Son Jesus did as He walked this earth. I ask that if there is sin in our lives, you would convict us, forgive us, and help us to our feet once again. Lord, may You be pleased with integrity in our hearts. I ask that we begin to look at others, as well as ourselves, with Your eyes. Thank you Jesus for your Word. Amen!





Mark 12:14
They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.

1 Chronicles 29:17
I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity.

Proverbs 13:6
Righteousness guards the man of integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner.

No comments: