Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Humility

I read this quote the other day on my friend's myspace, "Constantly thinking little of ourselves is still thinking constantly of ourselves." That sparked some thinking on my part about humility.


So, how is it we are to be humble, or walk in humility? I did some searching and found 3 descriptions, which I thought were worth sharing.




I searched wikipedia for humility and found this definition:



Humility is a quality or characteristic ascribed to a person who is considered to be humble. "Humility is derived from the Latin word "humilis", which means low, humble, from earth. A humble person is generally thought to be unpretentious and modest: someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others. The concept of humility in various religions is often much more precise and extensive. Humility is not to be confused with humiliation, which is the act of making someone else feel ashamed, and is something completely different.








Read what the Bible teaches about how to walk in humility:


James 1:19
[ Act on What You Hear ] Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. God's righteousness doesn't grow from human anger. So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.





I then came across Kathryn Kuhlman's website (http://kathrynkuhlman.com/) and read what she had written about Humility. Personally, this really puts it in perspective for me.




Humility
by Kathryn Kuhlman


Wherever you find real love, you will also find humility. Remember something: humility is not a weak and timid quality. Too often we feel that humility is a sign of weakness. This is not so. It is the sign of strength and security.

As an example, let me share a memorable experience I had as a young child. It was a hot Saturday night and Papa and I were about
to enter the meat market situated on the main street of Concordia, Missouri. The two of us were at the doorway when suddenly a man, noticeably very drunk, shoved Papa back. I saw my father step aside and hold the door open while the stranger staggered into the market. Standing nearby was a man watching the whole scene. Knowing that Papa was mayor of Concordia, he asked, "Joe Kuhlman, are you going to let him get away with that?" I was still holding onto Papa's hand when I saw him smile and answer: "I can afford to let him go first." That was a lesson in love and humility that I have never forgotten.

Humility is a show of security and strength. It is the solid foundation of all virtues, and I believe that the very first test of a truly great man is his humility.



The Kathryn Kuhlman Foundation © All rights reserved.








Lord,



Along with getting dressed in daily armor, let us also remember to put on humility. Help us to remember it's not about us. When we are complimented for something we do well, let us remember that it is You who has given us that talent or that gifting. We are nothing without you. Let our lives be a reflection of Who You Are! Thank you Jesus, for all that you do, in us, and through us. Amen!



No comments: