Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"What don't they have at Wal-Mart?"

I was encouraged recently about praying for people in public. My first thought was that I never run into people in a public setting that ask for prayer. At church, prayer is an expected and accepted thing to do, but in public, now that's different.

Or is it??


I was challenged to take a look around during my next visit to Wal-Mart (which didn't take long as trips to Wal-Mart seem daily). Sure enough, that place seems to have an array of people limping, coughing, and hurting. My conclusion is that Wal-Mart is a place that DOES have everything, including opportunities for the Lord to perform miracles and encourage us in our faith.


One such miracle happened there last Saturday.


The boys and I were on our way back to our car after shopping when we noticed smoke coming from a car parked a few spaces down from ours. We happened upon this scene the same time as a man and his wife. I immediately noticed the panic reflecting on their faces as they, too, grasped what was unfolding.


Through the smoke, inside the car, sat someone jerking back and forth having a seizure. Their foot was pressed on the accelerator and the engine was racing full speed, thus causing the smoke. The man reached in and turned the car off and got the person out of the car. The person was still convulsing as this man placed them on the concrete to lie down. Saliva was bubbling from their mouth.


So, here we are, the boys and I, watching this scene unravel. In the background, I hear a quiet, frightened voice, "Mom, what do we do?" Without hesitation, an immediate bold answer welled up inside me, "WE PRAY!" It wasn't an elaborate prayer, just "Jesus, we need you, here, now!"


My eyes met the woman standing across from me as she reached for her cell phone and announced she was calling 911. IMMEDIATELY, I looked up and a fire truck was pulling into the lot. The boys and I frantically began waving our arms at the firemen. They waved back, thinking we were nothing more than intrigued fans. These guys were on a break! They didn't even know there was a call for help being made at that very moment!


The boys ran to the firemen and told them what was happening. They got their equipment together, but they weren't a first responder unit so they didn't have much medical gear on board. They arrived at the parking place the same time a doctor walked over and asked to help. All this happened in a time span of 3 minutes!! The woman was still on the phone with the police department telling them exactly where we were and then I heard her say that there was a fire department AND a doctor already on scene.


How did all this happen?? How did the schedule of the fire department and the timing of the doctor all occur at the EXACT moment? I believe, because of prayer, GOD performed a miracle!! We asked Him for help, and He responded. His Word says, "And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father" John 14:13


Because of the impact of this experience, I followed up at our local hospital. When I walked into the emergency room, this person was sitting up and was alert. At the scene this person was unconscious, so I shared about how the Lord orchestrated the schedules of so many people "just for them!"


The truth is, the Lord loves EACH of us that much! I wonder just how much goes on in my life that I'm not even aware the Lord is working? Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." I want THIS kind of faith, everyday, even at Wal-Mart!



Lord, I ask you for opportunities to build up our faith. I ask for boldness to do what You would have us to do in and through those opportunities. Above all, I ask that we would know just how much you love us ~ how deep, how wide, and how high is your love for us. I ask for your help in believing that You have a plan for every minute of our lives. If we are breathing, we have purpose! Help us to walk in that promise. Thank you Jesus - for life and life more abundantely! And thank you for allowing my family to witness another of Your miracles.

1 comment:

Given55 said...

I, too, believe it to be the answer to your prayer. Short prayer or not all we have to do is call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.