Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Proud

My heart is full of emotion as I write this devotion. Throughout this week as I've shared with hurting people, my mind remembers circumstances in my past that have brought me to this place. Hurts that have wounded me deeply and pains that have inflicted my inner being. Nonetheless, it is by these wounds, and through these hurts, that have molded me into who I am today.


I think about others, how their circumstances seem and even feel, and my heart is heavy for the road that must be walked. I know, all too well, how it feels to be a current Wife of a student in Teen Challenge; I also know what it's like to be a Completed Student's Wife.




. . . times of waiting . . . tests of courage . . . feelings of hopelessness . . .


BUT, I'm gently reminded to place my feelings under the Authority of the Word of God. Romans 8:28 (NIV) says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Here's a secret: ALL means ALL. God works through every detail, each circumstance, every trial . . . ALL things!


God is in control during the wait; He's the Lord of the Gap; He's the Strength in the test of courage; He's the Hope in the hopelessness; He's the Calm in the storm; He's the Peace amidst the chaos. If you're searching for an answer, He's the perfect fit.


It's through Him that I can honestly share how proud I am of each of us. Walking this out takes integrity, courage and strength. I understand there is not a day that goes by where we are not tested. However, I have NEVER known strength like I see in Wives who determine to stand beside their husbands as they work alongside the Lord, and each other, to commit to working through issues and circumstances that arise.


A few weeks ago I attended a Jason Upton concert. Jason shared a song that he sings over his children as they go to bed at night. Then, he sang it again and told us to insert our name. It was humbling to think of the Lord singing this over us as His children, but it is so true! The lyrics are:

I am so proud of you!
I'm so proud of you!
_____, I'm so proud of you!

I am so proud of you!
I'm so proud of you!
_____, I'm so proud of you!

I'm proud of you when you are sleeping,
I'm proud of you when you're awake,
I'm proud of you when you are trying,
'cause trying makes lots of mistakes.



This is how I feel about EACH of you!! But much more importantly than that, this is how God feels about you!! YOU are PRECIOUS to Him! I encourage you to sing/speak this over yourselves, your children, and even your husband, daily. God is PROUD of you!! My prayer is that you are encouraged today in whatever circumstance you are facing.


In closing, re-read Romans 8:28, (the verse from above), this time in the Message version: Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

No comments: