Friday, March 25, 2011

The Little Ones

I've been wrestling. If being passionate about something means you are 'awake dreaming' (oxymoron? YES!) at 3:00 AM, then I'd say I've been gifted passion. But why? Why me? Why now? God and I have been having some heart to hearts in the wee small hours of the morning. Needless to say, I've been remembering...

I remember back to the days when my boys were small. I worked as a waitress, mostly nights and weekends. I was a new believer. When I did get a Sunday off from work (usually once a month), it was such a treat. I would try to dress my boys to the 9s, in their little velvet hats, tall socks and patton leather shoes.

I remember one Sunday in particular, bringing my boys into the nursery and being told that if I didn't sign up for my turn in the nursery, I wasn't allowed to drop them off that day, or any day thereafter. My heart sank. Not knowing when I would make it to church again, and really not wanting to spend the one sunday a month I got off from work in the nursery, I took a deep breath and hung my head. Fighting back tears I took my boys into church with me that day.

I will never forget what happened next. A woman who I admire to this VERY DAY, came up to me. She had heard what had happened in the nursery. She told me she would work my shift. This woman had grown children of her own. In my mind, she had done her 'nursery duty.' However, I recognized that through her eyes, she was speaking through her heart...and it was God's heart. (that's exactly what Jesus did, He took our place!)

The boys and I continued to come to church. This beautiful woman continued to work my shift in the nursery. Eventually my schedule changed. My job changed. My life changed. I grew. My boys grew.

So, now, the tables have turned, the Lord reminded me, at 3:00 AM. God has blessed, and birthed, and stoked, a passion in me for the children of our next generation. I am honored. I am more than able to give back.

No comments: