Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School

Today's the day!!! Today, our oldest son started high school, and our youngest son, middle school. I shared devotions with them this morning. I felt their excitement; I understood their concerns. My babies are embarking on the most exciting years of their lives.

Our oldest son has been practicing football for the past 2 months. He's living out his lifelong (14-year's now) dream!!! He played a practice game last week and I noted other players on the sidelines chatting and making numerous trips to the water cooler, but NOT him. He was intently scrutinizing every play, watching each move of the football. Yesterday though, his plans for the next few weeks changed.

He was riding his bike around our neighborhood, enjoying the last bit of summer vacation, when he took a detour. That detour consisted of a nose dive as he flipped over the handlebars of his bicycle, and "caught" himself with both arms. We ended up in the ER, once again, and the recurring news, "Yes, it's broken!"

Today, I am feeling an assortment of emotions. I asked one of my co-workers if this was a parental response to children embarking into the world of high school/middle school, OR, if it was because, into that journey of adulthood, one child is entering a little "handicapped". His response was, "Jody, just how many times have you had to deal with broken arms", my answer was unfortunately, "6 times", he said, "therefore, I'm sure you're feeling a normal parent's response because you should be a pro at dealing with broken arms!!" True enough, point taken. Thanks for the encouragement!!

No comments: