Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Mother's Day

Mother's Day brings a mixture of emotions for me. Over the course of my life on this earth, I've experienced an array of emotions in the 14 Mother's Days I have had the honor of celebrating. As a single mother for many years, with gifts being my primary love language, I have had to come up with inquisitive ways for my boys to "help me out" with Mother's Day Celebrations. In their younger years, I'd give them construction paper and crayons and "hint" for them to make me a card; I've even gone so far as to give them extra allowance and "greatly encourage" them to spend it on me.


Nonetheless, Mother's Days seem to be an emotional time. Is it because I have such high hopes and this day doesn't meet my expectations, or could it be because I don't see myself as being important enough to honor for even one day, or is it because the world really doesn't seem to acknowledge the intense sacrifice Mother's make for their families? Whatever the reason, my past Mother's Days have been low times.



It is during times like these, times that I feel down-trodden or less than worthy, that the Lord reaches down, takes a hold of my heart, and reminds me of truths like "I am his daughter", "I am deeply loved and completely accepted to the Creator of the universe!", "I have been bought with a price", "I am His princess", "I am royalty!"


This Mother's Day, regardless of how it turns out, I am making a conscious decision to believe the truth from scripture, about me as a daughter, about me as a mother, about me as a wife and about me as a woman. I am listing references below to the Proverbs 31 woman. Being a Wife is a noble task, as well as an honor! Standing beside our husbands, raising our children, and doing our part, IS making a difference.


So, on this Mother's Day, if you're a woman, wife, mother, or daughter, my encouragement is to celebrate the gift God made when He made YOU!! You are worth celebrating!! And if you're not one of the above, I'm sure you could send a "Happy Mother's Day" to someone that is.




Excerpts from Proverbs 31 (NIV)


10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jody,
My experience with Mothers Day is that I disliked going to church on that day because the pastors all talk about the Proverbs 31 woman and I have never been that woman and most likely will never be her; it just bummed me out. It always made me feel like I came up short, even though I know that I've done the best I knew how at the time. We all grow wiser and I'm a lot better mom now than I was 15 years ago but we all need to lighten up on ourselves. I wish I hadn't been so uptight about trying to do everything right. Anyway, I love your blogs, keep up the great work!