Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"Do I know you?"

Have you ever said "Hello" to an acquaintance, and after a few moments, to your dismay, you hear them say, "Do I know you?" You go on to share with them who you are, their relationship to you, and memories you've shared together.



As we've spent time in my grandmother's hospital room this week, she will wake up and see me there. She has intently looked deep into my eyes as my father will lean over her and ask if she recognizes me. I watch as she searches through her memories. I see her think to herself "Do I know you?" and honestly, it breaks my heart to see this precious woman struggle to remember. I hear my father say, "Mom, this is my little girl, this is Jody, do you remember her?" She shakes her head "no" as tears fill her eyes and trickle down her cheeks. I say "Grandma, do you remember me, I'm your granddaughter?" Again, she shakes her head, regrettably.



No recollection of the years we've shared together; no remembrance of the times we've had as family. Although I believe she wants to remember, it brings her sadness that she cannot. The tears flow as she moans with a deep sorrow that I can still hear when I close my eyes.



As we leave the hospital, the Lord shares His Word found in Matthew 7:21-23. He gently reminds me of tears He has shed over His creation that does not know Him. His Word says one day He will say to some people who call Him Lord, and even people who perform miracles in His name, "Depart from me, I do not know you."



I think about how my dad tries to help my grandmother remember me, and God reminds me of the simple truth that it's not who you know that knows Him that gets you into heaven, it's about your own personal relationship with Him. God doesn't have grandchildren. Just because my parents may know God, doesn't mean I'm a "shoe in".



Also, I think about the lost and dying world we live in, and how it must break God's heart to think about how many of His own Creation don't know Him. There are so many people existing without Christ, it is our responsibility as "Christians" (meaning "like Christ", or "little Christ's"), to share Jesus with our world.



When my husband was home this past weekend, we were walking down the street. A homeless man approached us and asked if we could spare $0.50 cents. I watched my husband dig deep into his pocket and give this man all the change he had. Then, I heard the homeless man say, "Do you know Jesus?" Without hesitation, I heard Jay reply, "Who do you think just gave you $0.50 cents?" In that brief moment, Jesus shined!



Do you KNOW HIM? I mean really KNOW Him? He longs to meet with you and talk. I pray that this week we ALL can spend a little more time feasting at His table, learning His voice, and trusting His plans. God Bless us each and every one!!



Matthew 7:23 (New International Version)

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

1 comment:

Maria said...

Wow..you are so awesome! I love the wat you write and teach. You are encouraging..and major KUDOS to Jay..!! U're right, when we help others..his response is so right on.."Jesus is the one who just gave you..."
A blessing and priveledge i know you two. I know God and love Him..thank you for sharing his word..keep up the amazing work..luv ya sis..maria