Tuesday, February 01, 2011

The sloppy wet kissable sinner

The song, "How He Loves" has been a staple worship song for me personally, to my family, to our church, and nationwide. The lyrics have helped us understand that God loves us, YES US!

Yet, there was always one part of the song that I didn't quite understand. I'd heard some artists perform the song differently and change the words, so that drew even more attention to this particular line for me. Here are the words to the bridge:

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.
And Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss,
My heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don't have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way,

That He Loves Us.


As I began to think about the terminology of the sloppy wet kiss, at first I was a bit confused, but then God began to show me examples of this in my own life.

1) My post yesterday about the homeless woman I ministered to years ago. As her boyfriend has just beaten her up, I just wrapped my arms around her and loved her. As we cried together, the term "sloppy" describes this type of love to me. And I KNOW that God was there in the midst.

2) Our son, Christopher, sang this song at Jay's memorial service. This past Sunday evening at the worship service I was overcome with emotion as I heard the song again. As I sat down in my sloppyness, with tears and snot running down my face, I felt the love of Jesus wrapping his arms around me. I'd say heaven met me like a sloppy wet kiss.

3) I've been in situations before where I've had to leave someone I love for a period of time. During a goodbye, I can remember crying and not caring that our tears were mixing together. I'd say that was pretty sloppy.


So, I'm saying all that to say this: This song ministers to me. I'm a sloppy wet sinner. I don't deserve to have love graciously poured out on my life, but I do, and I'm thankful. I don't have time to think about all the wrong things I've done (and still do), when I think about the way that He loves...

He loves us, He loves us... He loves me and He loves YOU too!

No comments: