Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Do you hear what I hear??

Sounds are all around us each and everyday. Lately, I’ve been more aware of sounds than ever before. The sound of my cat purring as I rub his chin, the sound of the boys’ laughter as it swells from the basement, the sound of the garage door when someone is a few minutes late coming home, the sound of Andy snoring while he is sleeping peacefully. Sounds I used to dismiss and pay no attention to, I am becoming evermore aware of.


The sound of one of my precious boys thanking me for fixing dinner, the sound of the guitar as it is played and practiced upon by one that I love, the sound of my phone ringing as a friend calls.


In one of the many cards we received from the past few weeks, there was a familiar scripture, “Be still and know that I am God.” Honestly, at the time I read this scripture it really pissed me off (can I say that??) Be STILL?? I sure felt still. I felt helpless, powerless, weak, and vulnerable. My mind raced a hundred miles an hour. However…be STILL? As time has gone by, my attitude and feelings have changed, I have found that STILLNESS as I have quieted myself inwardly. I really can hear the intended still sounds, the sweet sound of His still, small voice. Peace. Laughter. The garage door. The cat purring. Friendship. Love. Life.

What are you listening to?

No comments: