Thursday, January 27, 2011

Which weighs more - the ashes or the crown?

In reflecting, reading, and reflecting some more, I came across something. I have read this verse over and over, again and again. BUT, I'm posting it again...Isaiah 61: (the emphasis is mine)

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—

to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,

the oil of joy instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.


My life hasn't always had 'easy button' opportunities. And honestly, I'm thankful for that. It is through challenges that I am who I am. BUT, through those experiences I have to ask myself this question, "Have I been giving the ashes in my life more attention than the crown?"


If driving our car represents the road through life and the rear view mirror represents the past, if we drive forward by gazing into the rear view mirror, WE WILL EVENTUALLY CRASH. The rear view mirror helps remind us of where we've been and what we've been through. If our view is of the open, large, clear windshield, the past (the rearview mirror) is a reminder of where we've been, what we've overcome, and where we're going, our future is put in better perspective.


What I'm saying is this ... YES, God has brought me through SO MUCH, and it's good to be reminded of this - but if I allow my identity to be determined by what I've been through, the ashes of my past will outweight who I've been created to be. I am a daughter of the King! I'm a precious, dear one who has been given a crown of beauty instead of ashes.



I never want to give the brokenness in my heart more weight than the fact that God can bind it up or believe that the price of freedom is too costly! Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe!

I sincerely doubt my God will ever tell me to tone it down. It is my prayer to live life out loud, even tending to small details like cleaning toilets, with my crown on!

No comments: